Congratualtions! It is great news that you are getting married and we are delighted you are considering a church wedding. The Church of England has a great website with lots of the answers to your questions here. Alternatively please contact Re’v Kevin, our Rector, or Keren our administrator. Keren works Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30am – 1pm.
We have two church buildings in the parish in which you can marry. These are St Michael’s Church on Bemerton Heath and St John’s in Lower Bemerton. St John’s is now a community centre and is known as St John’s Place(SJP). It used to be a main parish church but now it is only the Chancel (which contains the Altar Table) which is still consecrated (blessed for use as a church and licensed to be be able to hold weddings). As it is also a community centre there are additional costs to the statutory ones charged by the Church of England for weddings. It also means dates need to be confirmed with the manager of SJP.
The exciting news is that you can even have your reception at St.Johns as well! For more information about that please contact the manager
- has at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- was baptised in the parish concerned or
- was prepared for confirmation in the or
- has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or
That one of your parents, at any time after you were born:
- has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or
That one of your parents or grandparents:
- was married in the parish
The easiest way to know if you live in the parish is to visit the A Church Near You website and enter your postcode.
Please contact us as soon as you have a date in mind for your wedding.